Monday, August 16, 2010

We are here in Palo Alto, CA! The day before our big day.

So Patrick and Sofía drop us off at the airport at around 5:30am, and both girls are excited because unbeknownst to them, their Aunt Carolyn from NYC, sent them Pillow Pets.  Apparently it is the toy to have.  Sofía and Anise have been eyeing them on the Sprout channel commercials.  Aunt Carolyn had called us about a week before asking what she could the girls for this upcoming journey...and we politely suggested the Pillow Pets.  To our delightful surprise, the Pillow Pets arrived a couple days before our departure, and we had been talking it up with the girls that we had a big surprise for them when we got to the airport.  Patrick and I, it would be perfect to give them the pillow pets right before we said good bye (decoy), so that it would be less emotional for them...it definately worked...thanks Aunt Carolyn and Uncle Joe!

We are here safe and sound. Anise is in good spirits.  Flight was smooth, getting the rental was a breeze.  I was exhausted by the time it was all said and done. Everyone was very helpful! They let us check into the hotel way before schedule @ Hotel Keen. I have so many overcoming feelings right now. Missing my hubby and my Sofia. I knew Sofia would have a hard time away from her little sister.

It has been a whirlwind of a day, winding down after having our pre-op appt today with all of the doctors, a slew of hearing test, and to top it off we started our morning at 4am and no nap-OUCH! Everyone was nice and accommodating.  They went through all of the events that would take place the day of the surgery. I think the biggest bit of information that I took from the pre-op appt is what Anise will be like after the surgery.  Some pain from where they will take the skin graft to line the ear canal, but interestingly they said that right after surgery, Anise might be overwhelmed by the new sounds coming into her ear.  Even though there will be packing in her newly opened ear canal, her brain will processing all these new sounds. Being in loud places will be very overwhelming, and she might get irritated very easily.  My heart aches for my baby Anise, but I know that it is all for her best interest.
Waiting at our pre-op appt.

Finally to bed and Anise is squirrely, she is giddy even though she can hardly stay awake.  I think she is intrigued by her new surroundings. We have our wake-up call set at 5:15am, and Anise's new beginning starts tomorrow.

I pray that God gives me strength to be strong before, during and after the surgery. I pray for the hands of the doctors that will be performing the surgery, and that Anise will be resiliant for all that is to come. I also pray for Patrick and Sofia, that they know that we have them in our hearts, and may God give them peace. I would also like to thank my little brother for making the trip to Palo Alto to support Anise and I.

1 comment:

  1. hi, i would like to ask you if this surgery is expensive, because i live in mexico, i have a little 6 months old baby with microtia and i am so sad, i am looking for all kind of information about options and i see the dr Roberson its the best, but i am so worried because i dont have enough money i hope you can help us , my email gaba31@hotmail.com my name is gabriela pena, thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete